Monday, May 10, 2010

And so it begins

It's May 11th at 2:16 AM.
Days to Graduation: 18


This is where I will begin logging my journey as I graduate college and venture out into the world of 2010. I'll be graduating with a BFA in Performing Arts from the Savannah College of Art and Design. Which basically means that I'll be graduating with a piece of paper and a few dozen thousand dollars in student loans with absolutely no guarantee of a job. I've actually already booked a gig, but there will be more on that later. My life for the next few months is pretty much set.

For the past few weeks I have been working on a show called One. It is my friend Chris Jameson's senior show, and also my directorial debut. "One" invites audience members to follow the activities of an individual named Eric, as he battles his conflicting emotions during a routine psychiatry session. The show will alternate between the present and the past by interspersing scenes depicting events from Eric’s earlier life throughout the discussions with his psychiatrist. Over the course of the play, his moral codes will be put to the test as he is forced to answer questions regarding his sexuality, religious beliefs and his relationships with those whom he holds dearest. The show will act as a compilation piece, and will offer scenes from "Angels in America," "Dog Sees God" and "Dare."  The show will run on May 21st at 8 PM, and May 23rd at 3 PM, in conjunction with the other senior shows this quarter.

A week later, I finish classes, walk at Graduation, and in just under 3 weeks I will pack up and leave Savannah for the foreseeable future. Savannah has been my home for the last 4 years, and I'm actually rather sad to go so soon after I graduate. I would have considered hanging out, but:

This summer, I will be appearing in the Fishing Creek Dinner Theatre's production of 1776. I will be a swing, playing multiple roles including Rutledge and Lee. The company began rehearsals 2 weeks ago, and the show opens on June 18th. I already know that I will be playing Lee on opening night, so the fact that I will join rehearsals on June 1st ups the pressure significantly. But, I've been in tighter situations before, and I will rise above.

After the show closes, I will be moving to New York City to try my luck at being a working actor. I know it'll be a struggle, but I'm actually pretty excited for the challenge. I didn't go to college to study acting to sit around and not take any more risks, now did I?

Anyway, I'll be back to report as time goes on. I don't actually know how often or what all will go into this blog.

Back in 15,
Darwin

No comments:

Post a Comment