Wednesday, February 16, 2011

My 15 minute break is over

Days since graduation: Had lost count, but it's 262.

Hello friends,

Long time no talk. I suppose I will start at what will serve at the beginning. I originally started this blog as a way to catalog my journey from random college graduate to wherever I ended up. I had defined myself as an actor for years, and saw no reason to stop. A bad show experience and a couple months of unemployment followed, and when I finally got a job it was the same thing I had done for a chunk of college, delivering food. I still planned on moving to New York City, but each part of the plan continually fell through. Eventually I began to re-think certain parts of my plans. One fateful day, I was enjoying a constant and yet un-stressful day of deliveries at work when all of a sudden a thought hit:

What if I wasn't an actor? What else would I have left?

I stripped away everything that I did/thought/said "as an actor", and was left with...

And I was left with just that, an ellipsis. I had created an entire life based off of what I did, and then had suddenly become aware of that fact. Many people fear the day machines become self-aware, but I've come to discover that we could all use a nice dose of it every now and again.

That was November, and since then, well, not too much has happened really. I was recently promoted "off the road" to being the Assistant Manager of the store. I know for a fact that this is not my long term path, however, and I refuse (and am probably not allowed) to fill a blog space with the tedious details of my job. I have also begun a film company MUNDANE! Media, with Josh Cole, my best friend of many years. We have been met with a modicum of success, and will hopefully be able to build on it a bit more. This blog will probably chronicle that. And other things. I have less of a definite idea of "what belongs in the blog" or not than when I started.

The new title of the blog comes from the working title for a TV pilot dreamed up by one Ms. Corinna Rezzelle (who will probably hate me for using it) that I began working on right before the whole identity crisis kicked in. It originally meant her and I's friendship, but at this point it accurately describes what's going on in my head. I know who "Darwin Hull" is: He's got an e-mail account, a website, a Facebook Fan Page, a Publicity Twitter, and a Business Card to help people find them all along with a snappy headshot photo on the front. "Darwin Hull" has his shit figured out, his head on straight, and is gonna go somewhere one of these days.

One of my favorite episodes of any show is the first episode of the second season of the new Doctor Who series "The Christmas" invasion.. The Doctor (played by David Tennant) has just awakened from regenerating (changing bodies. It's Sci-Fi, work with me here.) and is struggling to discover just who he is now. Throughout he asks things like "Is that the sort of man I am now? Am I rude?". After losing his hand in a sword fight with an alien (SCI-FI), it regenerates and he declares "This new hand, it's a fightin' hand!" and defeats the alien. The episode ends with the Doctor feeling comfortable in his new skin, and the Earth has been saved once more.

Using TV as a metaphor for life (something I encourage only in short bursts), I find myself at the climax of the story. My old life is gone. I'm not in Savannah anymore, and I'm know damn well that the road ahead in my career (whether I return to performance or not) isn't going to be easy. My hand has been cut off, and now I need to rebuild. I don't know how the parts are going to arrange themselves, but deep down I believe that things will absolutely work out for the best. I represent myself as a sarcastic pessimist, but in the end, I think the good will come out ahead of the bad.

What's coming next? I don't know. But I invite you to watch.

Thanks for reading, and being there.

-Darwin

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you're still out there somewhere Dah-veen. And if "Me and Darwin Hull" this is the sitcom with Mark Tymchyshyn as the landlord, I do hope I still get to be the crazy cat lady next door. ;)

    ReplyDelete